Here I’ll cap off my current round of “modern testing” posts by discussing a bit about the lucid approach that I’ve brought up along the way.
I’ve gone through a lot of posts on modern testing and I’m nearing the conclusion of my thoughts on this. (Or so we can hope, right?) Here I’ll recap a bit and then push forward.
In my previous post on modern testing and resilience, I indicated that testing and quality assurance spend a lot of their time, as disciplines, being in danger from their own practitioners. This is most often a problem when the disciplines are under pressure to change. Here I’ll focus on that a bit, with the understanding that these are obviously purely my opinions, even if they seem stated as fact.
This post follows on from the previous (see part 1 and part 2). Here I’ll close out this series of posts by performing a bit more abstraction and finish up with some thoughts about how and to what extent the Cucumber abstraction fits in.
In the first post of this series, I got us set up with a Serenity repository using Maven as our build tool. I also started us on the path of applying Cucumber-JVM by putting a feature file in place. In this post we’ll start tying Cucumber into Serenity’s runtime operations.
I’ve talked a bit about Serenity in previous posts as well as Cucumber-JVM. Here I’ll combine the two and talk about how to set up a simple Cucumber-style project. Along with this focus, I’ll be concentrating a bit more on the Serenity reporting as part of this.
In two previous posts (on design pressure and sources of truth) I talked about the context that a modern test team is often fitting in with. Here I’ll get more specific, particularly in regards to some strategic elements.
This post follows on from the previous (see part 1 and part 2). Here we’ll wrap up the test we started with by making sure the test actually performs some sort of verification. This will complete my initial tour of screenplay-based functionality within the context of Serenity.
This post is following on the from the first post in this series. Here I’m going to dig a little further into the screenplay pattern, finishing up the execution of the test started in the first post. I’m focusing on the screenplay pattern itself here. That pattern can be applied in any programming language. I happen to be using Java, and I’m using a tool (Serenity) that already encapsulates this pattern.
In this tutorial post, I’ll begin covering how to apply the screenplay pattern with the Serenity framework. This is a “roll-up your sleeves and code” post. Here I will take a measured approach to demonstrating the screenplay pattern in the context of a working example.